I have been working with several companies recently who have been struggling to get their ecommerce results up to par. Most have been using entry level ecommerce solutions and/or developing their own solution in house. They are frustrated when they hear the better results of other B2B multi-channel marketers. While all businesses are unique, I do see some trends that have emerged between those that lead and those that lag in online peformance. Here is what I see in the leaders.
1. They have extremely good measurement and metrics and can answer just about any question I throw at them.
2. They keenly track their organic search results from keywords and traffic to conversion, AOV and LTV.
3. They are getting about half their total organic search visitors from non-proprietary search terms. The other half comes from branded company or product terms.
4. Organic search is now driving about half their total site traffic.
5. The gap between online and offline AOV is narrowing each year as online up-sell, cross-sell and customer service improve.
6. Retention of buyers online (those that come back and make a second purchase) is increasing substantially.
7. They have multiple "feedback loops" to keep them up to date with what their customers are thinking, doing, feeling.
8. They sites are a collaborative effort using leading edge partners/suppliers and their technologies to keep their sites at the leading edge in key areas – SEO, usability, site search, product display, etc.
9. They have the integration between their front end web solution and their backend OMS and fullfillment systems working seamlessly.
10. They are thinking about tomorrow's needs today, leading not playing "catch up". They are busy testing social marketing and mobile commerce programs now.
So, I guess the question is, how is your company doing in this critical area?
Terence Jukes is president of B2B Direct Marketing Intelligence LLC, a strategic B2B direct marketing consultancy based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., that services clients in the U.S., Canada, France, the U.K. and Germany. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or (954) 383-5221 (direct line).Terence Jukes is president of B2B Direct Marketing Intelligence LLC, a strategic B2B direct marketing consultancy based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., that services B2B catalog company clients in the U.S., Canada, France, the U.K. and Germany. You can reach him at tjukes @ b2bdmi.com or (954) 383-5221
Comments or questions are welcome.