Most B2B Catalog marketers, including me, think the web is a very good thing. However, I am becoming increasingly convinced that sometimes the web, with all its benefits, shortchanges us. This happens in a number of “customer experience” areas but the most important one I see is how the web treats a new customer. Basically, it doesn’t ….and therein lies the problem.
In a number of client companies I have recommended that ALL web orders be called back or at least NEW customer web orders be called. Ideally, this happens within two hours of the order being placed and does not hold up shipping of an order.
In most cases, here’s what I see:
1. The callback confirms the order, thanks the customer, finds the reason for the order or intended application of the purchase.
2. The call provides an opportunity to “sell the brand”, after all, this is a new customer who probably doesn’t know much about your company.
3. The call provides an opportunity to collect valuable marketing data on the new customer and educate the customer on your benefits and services.
4. The call moves an internet transaction to a human transaction and we all know that “people buy from people” and not machines. After the call, ideally, the customers feels that “those are good people, I’ll buy from them again”.
5. The chances of getting a second order go up with such calls, particularly, if a thank you note and second order incentive is including in the first shipment.
6. First time buyers who move to a second purchase are more likely to have a significantly higher LTV.
So, why not structure a test in your organization to see if the ROI on calling new or all web orders is justified. If you need help, please call me.
Terence Jukes is president of B2B Direct Marketing Intelligence LLC, a strategic B2B direct marketing consultancy based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., that services clients in the U.S., Canada, France, the U.K. and Germany. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or (954) 383-5221
CEO and Founder
On Skype: “terryjukes”
B2B Direct Marketing Intelligence, LLC.
2871 NE 26th Court,
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306
Terence Jukes is president of B2B Direct Marketing Intelligence LLC, a strategic B2B direct marketing consultancy based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., that services B2B catalog company clients in the U.S., Canada, France, the U.K. and Germany. You can reach him at tjukes @ b2bdmi.com or (954) 383-5221
Comments or questions are welcome.